Discovered by Cerpin & Klydestorm
A split second before Link dies, there is a small time window to perform an action such as a jumpslash, sidehop, or backflip. If the player has their sword out and performs a jumpslash in this window by holding target and hitting A, they will rise off the ground slightly. Due to Link having 0 hearts, his jumpslash is immediately canceled, and he returns to his normal falling stance, allowing you to jumpslash again by pressing B. With each press of B while airborne, Link will perform a jumpslash, rising slightly higher into the air and moving slightly forward each time. Providing the B button is mashed fast enough, Link may gain infinite height, assuming nothing knocks you down in the air. This allows you to get to heights not normally accessible.
If you do get knocked down and land on the ground, you can start your hover back up from where you land, using the same process described above starting from the target jumpslash.
- Reduce your health to 1/4 heart.
- Face a ledge that is far out of reach.
- Take knock-back damage (damage that knocks Link over). Bombs are most useful for this.
- Hold ZL and mash both A and B simultaneously (or time the A press and then begin mashing B)
- Once you have gotten off the ground, you can switch to just mashing B.
- Unfortunately, due to Link having 0 hearts, as soon as you touch land or water, Link will die. The only way to prevent his death is to land on either a fairy or a heart drop.
- If you have a bottled fairy, you cannot start a hover, as the fairy will revive you the moment you lose your last heart.
- If you get knocked down during your hover, it is possible to resume hovering after hitting the ground by again.
- While it's possible to start a Zombie Hover off of any means of damage (aside from voiding out), damage that knocks you down gives the largest window to start the hover and is highly recommended. When taking knockback, you have 9 frames to press A and the first B press must be done within 4 frames of the A press.
- It is possible to start a hover with an enemy's weapon such as a boko-stick if you deplete your health using a large fall, and immediately slipping. In Forsaken Fortress 1 this can be used to hover up to the hearts on the sidle gap, though this trick is difficult. It is also possible to zombie hover with the Skull Hammer relatively easily.
Last updated 04/16/2019